Road trips are a great way to make memories with the ones you love. However, they can be daunting. Trying to pile everyone in a vehicle to drive around the country is no easy task. You are going to hit detours, speed bumps, and traffic jams but in the end you will still do it again because of the gorgeous views, delicious food, and memories of a lifetime. These are a few simple ideas to make your road trip unforgettable!
1. Use a binder clip to make a car stand for your phone
You need your GPS where you can see it. This hack is perfect to keep your phone at eye level! Here is how you can make it!
2. Or purchase a sticky pad to keep your electronics in place
These are great to stick anything to a surface without residue, magnets, or stains. Get yours here!
3. A cereal container is the perfect no-spill trash can
Don’t stop every time you need to throw something away or let the trash pile up in your car. This is a great way to keep your car clean!
4. Start an adventure fund to help pay for expenses
Every little bit helps! You never know what extra expenses might pop up!
5. Keep your furry friend happy too with some pet essentials
Your pooch will shower you in kisses if you just bring these quick and easy goods.
What you will need:
- Water dispenser
- Vaccination papers
- Waste Bags
- Crate Bowl
- Crate Bed
- Treat Bag with Treats
- Bully Stick
- Versatile Toy
- Dehydrated or Canned Pumpkin (for upset tummies)
- Dog food in a Travel Bag
- Portable Food and Water Container
- Dog Shampoo and Accident Cleaner
- Dog Medical Bag
6. Never panic about which side the exit is on again
Look at the placement of the top exit sign to know where to get off.
7. Turn a half-filled Nalgene bottle on its side in the freezer for ice water
Fill it up before you hit the road; you’ll have cold water all day! Get yours here!
8. For when you have too many beverages
You always need a back up cupholder, and you can’t go anywhere without a roll of duct tape. Make it pull double duty on your trip! A shoe would work too, if you’re desperate.
9. Make a head wrap for a cute and easy road trip look
Don’t feel like doing your hair everyday on your trip? This is the perfect way to be lazy and still have cute pictures. Just throw your hair up and tie it back with the wrap! Get directions here!
10. Nap comfortable while your co-pilot takes a driving shift
This neck pillow is perfect to keep the sun out of your eyes in case you had to take the night shift driving. Buy yours here!
11. Easily split the cost among your road trip friends with Venmo
Venmo lets you easily split the cost of the trip by transferring money for free instantly!
12. Find the lowest gas prices along the way
There are many apps to help you find the lowest price of fuel including fuel finder, gas buddy, and gas guru. Use these to be as cost conscious as you can on your road trip!
13. This car cooler is perfect to house snacks and drinks
It is powered by your car and keeps plenty of snacks cool and at arms reach for your trip!
14. Bring shower caddies for easy eating
Great for kids and adults alike. You can find these for $1 at many stores.
15. Also use caddies to organize food necessities
You can also take one to add any condiments, small snacks, even napkins and utensils you will need to eat on the road.
16. Snack are an important part of a road trip
Using a tackle box, raid the kitchen and assemble this snack kit before your next road trip. It will turn a simple snack into entertaining fun!
17. Keep an open box of dryer sheets in your car
Even if your car started out smelling nice, by day eight you will be happy these are there.
18. If you’re parking your car when exploring a new city, drop a pin
Nothing worse than not being able to remember where you parked your car. Drop a pin in “Maps” app in your phone to locate your car easier later!
19. Take a screenshot of directions while you have a Wi-Fi connection
It will save battery life, data, and frustration if you lose service.
20. Bring a two-port USB car charger
That way you and your road trip buddy will never have to argue about who gets to charge their phone. Get yours here!
21. Or a multi-way charger if you really like electronics
Let’s be honest you have more than two devices in the car. Be sure nothing dies on the road with this charger! Get it Here!
22. Pack an emergency kit along with your AAA card
Don’t be caught on the side of the road without a few supplies. Pack some extra (comfortable) shoes, water, flashlight, flares, and a blanket. Just in case!
23. Use the back of a TV when you run out of chargers
After a long trip everyone needs to recharge! Don’t let your phone miss out just because you forgot the adapter!
24. Don’t pack a million suitcases
Make it easy to grab what you need for the night. Unloading and reloading the car will get very tiring.
25. And if your car doesn’t already have one, invest in a trunk cover
Just because you don’t want to unpack doesn’t mean you should leave all your stuff out in the open.
26. Bring an address book and stamps
That way you have no excuse for not sending postcards to all of those people who want updates.
27. Print this out and keep it in your glove box
Everyone needs to know how to change a tire. Don’t get stranded and have to call AAA when you can do it yourself. Print this page.
28. Keep an emergency car kit in your trunk
Jumper cables, gloves, a tire pump, and first aid kit are great to have in case something goes wrong. Get yours here!
29. Make some delicious snacks to make the trip a special occasion
Make these healthy and delicious Spicy Smoked Salmon Onigiri Rice Balls or Lemon Poppy Seed Larabars perfect for the road. Get those recipes and more here!
30. If your car doesn’t have audio hook up you can get an adapter that goes through the radio
Car adapters are great to play your phone through the radio. Get yours here!
31. Bring CDs as backup
This may seem old school, but after 10 hours in a car, you will want to save your phone battery for directions and games of Candy Crush.
32. Make at least one a serious sing-along throwback mixed tape
You have to hit the road with your favorite classic songs to sing along to in the car! Don’t let your kids favorite Disney sing-along songs take over the radio!
33. Make a DIY Road Trip Journal
You absolutely need some time to write about favorite scenic spot, or your favorite wild animal spotting…or your favorite place you ran out of gas. The sky is the limit in your journal!
My favorite and most used supplies were:
- My mini stapler
- Mini scissors
- Self inking stamp
- Stamp pads
- Baggie of baby wipes (for cleaning my stamp pads)
- Glue stick
- Polaroid camera
- Double sided tombo sticky tape (for my polaroids)
- Pens in various point sizes for interest
- Corner rounder
34. Remember your trips by embroidering a map with your routes
You never know where the road will take you! Embroidering a map is a great way to remember all of those gorgeous scenic routes you took!
35. Hang a shoe organizer on the back of a seat
Keep all your must-need items in it for easy access. Books, music, maps, and snacks should all be at arms length!
36. Or Make or buy an iPad holder for the back of your seat
If books aren’t your thing, this is another option to keep the back seat entertained. This iPad holder is perfect for the back seat, put a movie on and enjoy the peaceful car trip.
37. Make the perfect road trip bag
Who doesn’t want a bag that will hold any and everything you could need. Make one out of simple things around the house to keep all of your must have items in one place!
Get directions here!
38. Keep extra small bills on hand to pay tolls
Depending on where your road trip takes you, an E-ZPass might not work in all areas. Having a lot of small bills will make it easier!
39. Find local food by bringing Roadfood, or using its website
This will save you from having to eat at any chains. Unless you are really craving a Big Mac.
40. Put map inside of a plastic protector and use a dry-erase market to map your route
Trying to decide where to make your stops? Mark it all out with dry erase marker on a map so you can reuse it later!
41. Turn your cup holder into a multi-level container
You need your cup holders for more than just your drink! Keep all of your necessities at your fingertips with this! Get yours here!
42. Be prepared to sleep in your car with this blow up bed
These are great for camping road trips or if you just need a nap in the car. Get yours here!
43. Bring an Atlas!
Because your phone or GPS will die or not work at least once on the trip! You can get them at your local bookstore or on Amazon.
44. Be sure to make a road trip basket to be prepared for any situation
What you will need:
- Paper Towels – spills can happen
- Toilet Paper – just in case you need to make an emergency stop on the way
- Facial Tissue – sniff sniff, snot snot
- Moist Wipes – sticky hands are probable
- Odor Eliminator – spilled ice cream, dirty shoes, stinky car – no thank you
- Facial Towelettes – your face can get greasy and blah feeling after a long drive
- Lip Balm – dry lips are no fun
- Dental Floss – driving with something stuck between your teeth – ack!
- Lotion – dry skin is no fun for anyone
- Hand Sanitizer – great for a quick clean before digging into a yummy snack
- Lens Cloth – if you wear glasses, make sure to pack one
45. Pack your car like a pro to keep everyone comfortable
1 – Passenger Seat: this is where the main passenger keeps their stuff. Pack magazines, an ipad, and your purse in a narrow tote to keep here.
2 – Main Console: Keep electronic chargers, wet wipes, kleenex, napkins, and a first aid kit here.
3 – Garbage: Have a special fabric car trash can that loops around my seat belt latch, but you can also use a plain plastic bag in the same way.
4 – DVD Players or tablets: Have a way to amuse the kids in the back
5 – Kid Bags: This is where the kids store their personally selected items for the road trip. It could include a book or journal, or a special activity/toy.
6 – Food!: This is where you keep all the snack goodies. Easy reach for each person.
7 – Kids Fun: This is normally another bag and carries more kids activities and games. Have a blanket for each kid in this space too. If the roadtrip isn’t too long, this could be the only space you store kids activities.
8 – Luggage: Pack bags and stuff you don’t need to access while driving here. If you have hotel stops on the main road trip drive, pack one overnight bag with all of our stuff for that hotel night. Another tip is to keep some extra snacks/treats or special drinks and such back here so you can dole them out when you stop.