With Summer almost over, Labor Day is one of our last chances to enjoy late sunsets and warm camping nights. It does not matter if you are a seasoned camper or new to the game, planning meals is always a challenge when camping, but this Labor Day try these six easy recipes that have only a few ingredients but create delicious meals and snacks that can be prepared on the grill or campfire.
1. Bacon Cheese Pull-apart Bread
An easy snack that can be paired with another dish or enjoyed alone.
- 14 frozen dinner rolls
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 bacon slices (cooked)
- Cut the rolls in half and place in Dutch oven.
- Melt the butter and pour on rolls.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top, add bacon.
- Cover with lid and let rise.
- Place in campfire for 20-25 minutes.
2. Farmer’s Breakfast
The everything-but-the-kitchen-sink breakfast. What’s better than meat and potatoes for breakfast?
- 1 bag frozen, diced potatoes
- 1 package of bacon
- 1 onion (diced)
- 6 eggs
- Cook bacon over fire.
- Remove the bacon, add 2 tablespoons butter, chopped onion, and frozen potatoes.
- Cook until potatoes are crispy.
- Add the eggs, and mix everything together.
- Let eggs cook; add seasoning to taste.
- Add broken bacon bits after eggs are cooked.
No two quesadillas are the same. Make it your own.
- Black Beans
- Place tortilla on large piece of tin foil.
- Add chicken, salsa, beans, cheese and any other toppings you can think of to half of the tortilla.
- Fold over to cover the ingredients.
- Wrap with tin foil and place directly on the grill.
- Cook until crispy and cheese is melted.
4. Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
Crispy fries that can be paired with any campfire favorites, like hotdogs or hamburgers. Add bacon, cheese, onions, or peppers to make loaded fries and take them to the next level.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 packet of ranch seasoning
- Slice sweet potatoes into strips.
- Mix oil, ranch seasoning, and fries in a bowl.
- Add garlic to taste.
- Cover cooking sheet with tin foil and place on grill or campfire.
- Cook about 10 minutes on each side, flip once.
5. Banana S’mores
A twist on S’mores that will rock your world.
- Whole Bananas
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut butter
- Graham Crackers (for dipping)
- Slice banana long-way down the middle (keep peel on) to make a pocket.
- Spread a layer of peanut butter in pocket.
- Add chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Wrap in a piece of tin foil big enough to cover entire banana.
- Places in coals of campfire and let cook 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Camping Dump Cake
This kid-friendly recipe will be a hit with families who have small children.
- 1 box of vanilla or chocolate cake mix (dealer’s choice)
- 1 can of lemon-lime soda
- 2 cans of pie filling (cherry, peach, apple, ect.)
- Stick of butter
- Line Dutch oven with tin foil and butter.
- Dump pie filling in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Mix cake batter with can of soda, do not beat. The bubbles from the soda will help the cake rise.
- Pour batter over pie filling.
- Cut butter into small pieces and spread on top of batter.
- Cover Dutch oven and place in coals.
- Cook for 45-55 minutes.
These easy recipes will amp up your camping trip menu for Labor Day weekend, making time spent with family and friends that much better!